Week 18 - Romans Series
Sermon-based Growth Group Questions
What was “the takeaway” (the most important point) from Sunday’s sermon and/or the sermon text, in your opinion?
What insight from Sunday’s sermon did you find most helpful, or eye-opening, or troubling (pick any or all of the above)?
Read Romans 7:1-6
- What images and feelings do you associate with “marriage”?
- After “death and life” and “slavery and freedom,” what new image is used here? How does this image help you understand your relationship with Christ?
- What did the law actually produce in those who tried to live by it? How has Jesus changed this?
- What would “fruit for death” look like compared to “fruit for God”?
- Do you feel more “married” to the living Christ who frees us, or to some religious code that reminds you how you have failed?
- In your own life, what does “fruit for God” look like compared to “fruit for death”?
- If you try to serve God by keeping all the Laws in the Old Testament, what happens over time? Can a person keep all the Laws perfectly?
- What is the difference between serving God in ‘the newness of the Spirit’ and serving God ‘in the oldness of the letter’?
Prayer: Take time to pray together as a group.