Dear Bethany Family:
It’s hard to believe we are reaching the end of August already. These five months have been difficult in so many ways. But my prayer is that God would use our shared experience in this season to shape our faith and galvanize us as a church. I have been so encouraged by God’s provision and protection, and your dedication and investment at Bethany. I know God will see us through and I can’t wait until we are restored to gathering regularly with each other.
I wanted to provide you an update on Bethany Church and School and what to expect this fall.
- Bethany Live Stream Services continue on Sundays at 9:00 AM. You can watch the entire service live or later on Facebook or YouTube; the message is also available on our website. On September 6, we will be wrapping up our current Malachi series, entitled “Making the Return.” I have loved seeing so many of you greeting each other in our digital lobby and participating in the worship and response to the message. God is reaching new people through these services.
- Bethany Nights, our in-person service Sundays at 6:30 PM continue. These times in the evening have been rich, as we share in devotions, discussion, worship and prayer; on September 6, we will also partake in communion together. For more info or to participate via Zoom, click here.
- We will also be hosting a Drive Thru & Drop Off Backpack Drive for the LB Rescue Mission on September 6 at 11 AM; I hope to see you then.
New Fall Ministries September 13 is our Fall Kickoff, when we will begin a new sermon series in the book of Philippians. That week we will also launch the following:
- YWS: Youth Worship Service This new in-person service for junior high and high school students will begin on Wednesday, September 9 at 6:30 PM. For more info and to sign up, click here.
- New Digital Growth Groups will provide opportunities for us to go deeper in our study of God’s Word and in relationship with each other. For more info and to sign up, click here.
- Free Access to Right Now Media, which is a digital library of faith-based videos, Bible studies, and other resources to help the entire family grow in their faith. You will be receiving a separate email with details concerning this great free resource and we will be using some of these materials as a part of our fall group study offerings.
Elder Board At this time each year, we come to you as a body for recommendations for our nominating committee for the role of Elder. If there is someone who you believe meets the qualifications of an Elder as expressed in 1 Timothy 3:1-7 and you would like to recommend them for consideration, please send us their name at
Giving I have been so encouraged by your faithfulness in giving and generosity during this season. To date, we are above our budgeted giving and remain in a secure financial position that allows us to focus on the ministry offerings we will be bringing this fall. We cannot do what we do without you and are so thankful for your continued support and investment in our church. For weekly Giving Updates, click here.
Bethany School Words seem insufficient to express my gratitude to our school Administrators and Staff. This year we saw their flexibility, creativity, perseverance, faithfulness and compassionate care for our students and families. When COVID hit and schools were no longer able to hold in person classes, our team quickly converted their curriculum for distance learning and finished the school year strong.
- Financial update Unfortunately, there were families who could not remain at the school and with the projected shortfall, the Elders agreed to pursue the Payroll Protection Program (PPP Loan) to save our school. We were awarded a loan of $395,000 to cover payroll expenses and will be able to have the loan completely forgiven as part of the program. We are waiting for the banks to begin accepting forgiveness applications and have been assured that we followed the program perfectly. Without this program we would have lost our school. I praise God for His faithful provision and protection.
- New School Year Looking ahead to the upcoming school year, Bethany School will move forward and open its doors following the reopening guidelines of the CDC as well as the Long Beach Department of Public Health. We are able to open by following the County of Los Angeles Public Health Protocol for Programs Providing Day Care for School-Aged Children. Principal Tonia Hill and her team have provided incredible leadership in the midst of ever-changing policies and requirements. I know that our team has created a safe learning environment and that our campus will be ready for students and families to return.
- Enrollment Please pray for enrollment as we are almost at our target. We currently have 151 students enrolled in grades K-8 and only need three more students to reach our goal. For Preschool, we are at 100 and need only seven more students. We know that God will provide and have tours set up for families over the next few weeks. If you or a family you know is interested in finding out more about Bethany School's exceptional programs, contact the school office at
Throughout this season I have been reminded over and over of the providence and provision of God. It reminded me of Psalm 145:14-21
The Lord upholds all who fall
and lifts up all who are bowed down.
The eyes of all look to you,
and you give them their food at the proper time.
You open your hand
and satisfy the desires of every living thing.
The Lord is righteous in all his ways
and faithful in all he does.
The Lord is near to all who call on him,
to all who call on him in truth.
He fulfills the desires of those who fear him;
he hears their cry and saves them.
The Lord watches over all who love him,
but all the wicked he will destroy.
My mouth will speak in praise of the Lord.
Let every creature praise his holy name
for ever and ever.
Thank you so much for taking the time to read this important update and if you have any questions I can be reached at
May the Lord bless you richly as you seek Him and His will for your life.
We desire to glorify God and see people transformed into passionate disciples of Jesus.